Filed under: apply

I have a temporary disability. Can SDS help me? What services might be available?

Services for students who have a temporary disability are available.  The application process is the same.  If, for example you injured your dominant hand, we may work to find an assigned note-taker for your classes. You may be approved for extended time on exams. Continue reading...

Posted August 4, 2017

I am a prospective student. May I meet with someone from your office during my campus tour?

We would be happy to meet with you during your tour of campus.  Please coordinate this request through the Admissions Visitors Center so they can integrate your visit with the rest of your campus tour. Continue reading...

Posted August 4, 2017

I had a 504 plan in high school. Will it transfer to the University of Iowa?

No, it will not.  Services received during K-12 are covered under different legislation than those received during college.  A 504 plan is useful in terms of highlighting what has been helpful to a student in the past. However the range of accommodations and services available in college may differ. Continue reading...

Posted August 4, 2017

Should I self-identify that I have a disability during the admission process?

Disclosing your disability during the admission process is voluntary and a separate process from requesting accommodations.  The University of Iowa will not discriminate against you due to your status as an individual with a disability.  If you are applying under the Individual Review Process and believe that your disability is... Continue reading...

Posted August 4, 2017

If I am a student with a disability attending the University of Iowa, will my accommodations coordinator and instructors seek me out to make sure I am provided services?

No. You must self-identify as an individual with a disability to receive services from our office. Each semester you must follow the process discussed with your Accommodations Coordinator to obtain updated Letters of Accommodation. Continue reading...

Posted August 4, 2017

How will you determine if my condition meets the definition of a disability that is used in college?

Our documentation guidelines are public. The documentation of your condition must be current and specific.  If you are having testing done for use in requesting accommodations at the University of Iowa, please refer the assessor to this resource.  Once we receive your documentation and application, we will review your materials and provide... Continue reading...

Posted August 4, 2017

Site created by Student Life Marketing + Design