Instructor Rights and Responsibilities
As a University of Iowa instructor, you have the following rights:
- Require student to initiate request for accommodations.
- Require that a student provide you with a Letter of Accommodation (LOA) from SDS before providing any requested accommodations.
- Require that a student meet with you to discuss their accommodations at the beginning of the semester or as soon as they receive accommodations.
- Require students to take an exam with you/department as long as it meets the accommodation requirement and applicable college policies.
- Question SDS regarding accommodations that you believe would result in a fundamental alteration to an essential component of the course.
Limitations to Instructor Rights
On the other hand, it is not your right to:
- Deny a student reasonable accommodation(s) listed on their Letter of Accommodation (LOA).
- Ask students questions about their disability including their diagnosis or nature of their disability.
- Ask if the accommodation is necessary.
- Request documentation of a disability directly from a student.
- Ensure instructional materials are in accessible formats, which include captioned videos, text readable documents, etc. For additional information see: IT Accessibility Policy
- Finalize textbooks and reading lists in a timely manner to allow time for books to be put in an accessible format. See: Textbook Ordering Policy
- Include a statement in syllabus as to how students can receive accommodations. See Syllabus Statement (15.2 k)
- Announce to your class how you prefer to communicate with students with disabilities regarding their accommodations at the beginning of the semester.
- Meet with students who provide a Letter of Accommodations (LOA) from SDS to discuss implementation of their approved accommodations.
- Provide accommodations in a timely manner.
- Instead of providing accommodations to students who self-identify as having a disability but are not registered with SDS, refer them to SDS.
- Maintain appropriate confidentiality of accommodation notifications and communications regarding disability.
- Contact SDS with any questions or concerns about an approved accommodation, or how to best work with a student with a particular disability.