Student Rights and Responsibilities
- Equal access to academic courses offered by the University of Iowa.
- The right to receive reasonable accommodations in a timely manner.
- The right to confidentiality regarding disability specific information.
- The same rights and privileges available to other students at The University of Iowa.
- The right to utilize informal and/or formal grievance procedure for students with disabilities if you are not afforded one or more of the above rights.
- The right to appeal decisions related to your accommodation determinations.
- The right to request changes or additions to your accommodations.
- The right to select which of your approved accommodations you would like to use in each class.
- The right to have your approved accommodations provided to you free of charge.
- The right to have Information available in accessible formats, including accessible instructional materials as per IT Accessibility Policy.
- The right to be free from discrimination and/or retaliation.
- Accurately portray your approved accommodations to instructors.
- Register with Student Disability Services (SDS) as an individual with a disability and complete your intake if you have not already done so by following the process which can be found at: How to Apply for Accommodations.
- Generate your Letter(s) of Accommodation (LOA) for each class which you’d like to use accommodations at the beginning of the semester or as soon as you are able.
- Follow your instructor’s direction about how to communicate with them regarding your LOA.
- Meet with your instructors at the beginning of a semester, or as soon as you receive your letters if it is later in the semester.
- Review your LOA with them and discuss implementation of your accommodations in their class.
- Understand that academic accommodations are not retroactive.
- Meet the University’s qualifications and essential technical, academic, and institutional standards.
- Assuming any costs associated with obtaining testing, reports, examinations etc. associated with documenting your disability.
- If problems or concerns regarding your accommodations arise, talk about it with your instructor, notify your Accommodations Coordinator, or have your instructor contact SDS with any questions or concerns.