There are many options available to support students who are not appropriately receiving academic accommodations or have concerns regarding their academic accommodations. A student may contact any of the resources listed below at any point.

Student Disability Services Staff

A student may choose to contact their Access Consultant regarding accommodation concerns when…

  • requesting an addition or change to current accommodations.
  • a response to sending their LOA (Letters of Accommodation) has not been received.
  • an accommodation has not been appropriately met.
  • wanting coaching or support in navigating accommodation related conflict.
  • needing SDS staff to intervene on a student’s behalf regarding an accommodation problem.

A student may contact the Director of SDS regarding concerns at any point, including in situations where they are not satisfied with guidance and support provided by their Access Consultant.

Office of the Ombudsperson

The Ombudspersons offer a safe place to discuss conflicts or any concerns regarding the university or its policies or procedures, and they will answer questions, help figure out options, and refer to other offices if necessary.

A student may choose to contact the Office of the Ombudsperson regarding accommodation concerns when…

  • seeking an informal resolution.
  • they desire a confidential, impartial, informal, and independent service for navigating conflict.

ADA Coordinator

The ADA Coordinator is responsible for coordinating the efforts of the university to comply with Title II (ADA) and investigating any complaints that the university has violated Title II (ADA).

A student may choose to contact the ADA Coordinator regarding accommodation concerns when…

  • filing an informal or formal complaint.
  • when emailing the ADA Coordinator to file a complaint, be sure to include:
    • Full Name
    • University of Iowa ID number
    • Telephone number
    • The very first sentence of the email: “I am filing an Informal/Formal Complaint”
    • Next: Describe concisely the circumstances of the complaint
    • Optional: Attach additional supporting documentation (email correspondence, LOA, etc.)

Campus Accessibility

For any concern other than academic accommodations, please use the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Report a Concern form, or call 319-335-0705, or email