Student Disability Services (SDS) will provide qualified students required texts in alternative formats as needed for UI courses.
Eligible students must submit a separate request for each book or course pack.
To request your textbooks in alternative format:
- Complete a request for each book at: https://uiowa.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eloVK5KTBfh9wxL
- Email proof of possession (image of the receipt or order confirmation) to email@example.com
Once the request is completed and the proof of possession is received, you will receive an email from SDS Media Services with instructions on how to access the file.
We recommend that you contact your instructor as well as the bookstore to acquire accurate information for your request. Requests should be submitted to SDS no later than the week before the start of a semester in order to ensure the timely processing of requests. With each form submitted, a student must also email a copy of the receipt or order confirmation to firstname.lastname@example.org in accordance with copyright law. Students will be allowed access to reformatted materials after satisfying this condition.
Read & Write Gold
Read & Write Gold is a literacy software with support tools for reading, writing, research, and studying. Students may install this software for free by using the following link along with their HawkID and password: https://helpdesk.its.uiowa.edu/software/download/rwgold/. If you have any issues with downloading the software, contact the ITS Helpdesk.
For PC Users
Here is additional information regarding Read & Write Gold software for PC:
- PC installation instructions - https://its.uiowa.edu/support/article/2761
- PC Training Guide - https://www.texthelp.com/Uploads/MediaLibrary/texthelp/US-Training-Documents/R-W-11-5-Gold-Training-guide-USA.pdf
- PC Quick Reference Card - https://www.texthelp.com/Uploads/MediaLibrary/texthelp/US-Training-Documents/Read-Write-for-Windows-quick-ref-card.pdf
For Mac Users
Here is additional information regarding Read & Write Gold software for Mac:
- Mac installation instructions - https://its.uiowa.edu/support/article/2767
- Mac Training Guide - https://www.texthelp.com/Uploads/MediaLibrary/texthelp/US-Training-Documents/Read-Write-6-Gold-For-Mac-Training-Guide.pdf
- Mac Quick Reference Card - https://www.texthelp.com/Uploads/MediaLibrary/texthelp/US-Training-Documents/readwrite-for-mac-quick-ref-card-PROOF-RESIZED-JUNE-2015-no-marks.pdf
Conditions and Copyright Law
Materials distributed in alternative formats are intended solely for purposes of auxiliary aids to students with disabilities accessing University of Iowa courses. Physical media (e.g., PDF or Doc file) is the property of the distributor, and text content is property of the copyright holder. Therefore, reformatted material must not be copied or shared with others as a matter of copyright law. In compliance with copyright law, SDS seeks permission of the copyright holder to convert copyrighted materials to alternative formats on a case-by-case basis.